Hydrogen: new “Electrolyzer” module in ProSimPlus simulation software
Hydrogen: new “Electrolyzer” module in ProSimPlus simulation software to optimize the design, maximize the efficiency, and reduce the energy consumption of hydrogen production units.
ProSim, a provider of software and services for simulation and optimization of industrial processes, has announced the addition of an electrolyzer module in the new version of its ProSimPlus software. By combining this module with other equipment from the ProSimPlus library, users can simulate the entire process of hydrogen production by electrolysis of water and optimize the process as a whole. Depending on the available data, the user can choose a more or less detailed modeling of the electrolysis operation.
Hydrogen is receiving increasing interest in energy transition projects and is expected to play a significant role in the energy mix. As it is almost non-existent in nature in a molecular state, hydrogen is industrially obtained by:
- Reforming or gasification of hydrocarbons;
- Thermochemical dissociation of water or biomass;
- Electrolysis of water.
Today, hydrogen is mainly produced from fossil fuels (steam reforming and gasification of hydrocarbons), which limits the interest in hydrogen as a clean energy source. In contrast, electrolysis of water represents the main alternative for decarbonized hydrogen production.
The advantage of ProSim’s new electrolyzer module is its ability to rigorously simulate an electrolysis process by offering a flexible modeling approach, depending on the data available to the user:
- A first approach quickly and simply establishes the material and energy balances, taking into account possible recycling of the electrolyte solution, purges and/or equilibration lines, as well as determining the necessary makeup streams;
- A more detailed approach uses a selection of rigorous models to calculate, based on operating conditions and technological characteristics, all operating parameters: efficiency, electrical characteristics (voltage, current, electrical power…), “voltage-current” characteristic curves…
Use this new version of ProSimPlus to design your electrolysis hydrogen production units:
- Process development by simulating the operation of production units on laboratory, pilot or industrial scales;
- Optimize operating conditions to meet production specifications as well as energy constraints;
- Automatic generation of “specification sheets” for equipment sizing (electrolyzer, heat exchangers, pumps, compressors, separation tanks…).
The electrolysis module available in ProSimPlus allows for the representation of the three main electrolyzer technologies:
- Alkaline: electrolysis cells are separated by a diaphragm and are immersed in an electrolytic solution;
- PEM (Proton Exchange Membrane): cells are separated by a solid electrolyte made of a polymer membrane providing conduction of H+ protons;
- SOEC (Solid Oxide Electrolysis Cell): cells are separated by a solid electrolyte made of a ceramic membrane providing conduction of O2- ions.