Batch distillation columns modeling and simulation
From 14 December 2021 to 17 December 2021
Trainees will study different rigorous methods to analyse issues related to batch distillation (design, quality control...) using the BatchColumn software.
At the end of the session, participants will be better equipped to evaluate the optimization potential of the different parameters that govern their column and to plan for modification on their equipment.
These objectives are evaluated at the end of the training.
Who should attend?
This level 1 training session is designed for those involved in safety, sizing, design and optimization studies of distillation columns, in particular engineers working on batch production processes or in laboratories. It is also relevant to those involved in solvent regeneration and in VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) treatment.
The training takes place over 4 half days :
- Tuesday 14 December - 2:00 pm to 5:30 pm CET (Paris Time) or 8:00 am to 11:30 am EST (New York Time)
- Wednesday 15 December - 2:00 pm to 5:30 pm CET (Paris Time) or 8:00 am to 11:30 am EST (New York Time)
- Thursday 16 December - 2:00 pm to 5:30 pm CET (Paris Time) or 8:00 am to 11:30 am EST (New York Time)
- Friday 17 December - 2:00 pm to 5:30 pm CET (Paris Time) or 8:00 am to 11:30 am EST (New York Time)
- Main characteristics
- Numerical methods
- General Methodology
- Compounds & Thermodynamics
- Physico-chemical properties
- Equilibria calculations
- Transport properties
- Simulis Thermodynamics within BatchColumn: presentation & examples
- Modeling of a batch column
- Column topology
- Theoretical stages / plate efficiency / column internal
- Hold-up and pressure profiles
- Initial conditions
- Feeds / sidestreams
- Condenser / decanter
- Heating / cooling device
- BatchColumn: presentation and examples
- Technological database
- Simulis Technologies: presentation
- Process Modeling
- Operating steps
- Operating modes
- Feeds / sidestreams
- Heat losses and inputs
- Report parameters
- Calculation starting
- - BatchColumn (cont.): presentation & examples
- Reactive distillation
- Using chemical reactions in BatchColumn
- BatchColumn (cont.): presentation & examples
- Chemical reaction description
- Simulis Reactions: presentation
Cost and Conditions
- The companies under MUTS Services (Maintenance, Update, Training and Support) contract can register for free (subject to availability) for level 1 training sessions that are related to software covered by their contract. The same applies to universities and public research centers as part of their contract for the use of ProSim software for teaching and / or research purposes. If you don't have the software in your contract, this training course is not included in your MUTS Services contract.
- If this training is not part of a MUTS Services contract, the cost is 990 € (before tax) or 1190 US$ per person. This price includes participation in training sessions and the training manual in electronic format.
- In order to guarantee the quality of the course and ensure good pedagogical follow-up during the course, the number of available places is limited.
- We thank you for sending us your pre-registration at least 8 days before the start date of the session. We will then confirm your final registration no later than 5 days before the start of the session.
- If the number of pre-registered exceeds the number of places available, not all requests can be satisfied, especially if they come from the same company.
- In order not to deprive other users of the opportunity to follow this training, once we have confirmed your final registration, if you do not attend to the training, an administrative fee of 290 Euros or 340 US$ will automatically be invoiced to you.
- ProSim reserves the right to cancel or not to open this training session if the minimum number of participants is not reached.
- Before the date of the training course, a 30-minute test session will be organized to validate that our online training environment is working properly with your material.
- Duration: 4 sessions of 3h30 spread over 4 days
- Location: online training. Login information will be sent to you prior to the training session.
- Accessibility: contact us if you have a disability.
- Equipment: we have a virtual training room that allows training to be provided online and to follow each trainee individually, especially during the exercices. A web browser is sufficient to have access to the required software (no installation of particular software on your computer is necessary). However, this type of training requires a good internet connection, please check with your IT department beforehand. We recommend to have two screens for the training course.
- Material support: educational booklet, Powerpoint presentation, computer with software installed.
- Trainers: all our training courses are led by experienced trainers recognized by their peers. Our trainers are the same persons who develop the software and take care of Support.
- Teaching method: the training course consists in theoretical lectures and applications exercises. A number of concrete case studies are discussed.
- Assessment method: a learning assessment sheet is supervised by the trainer for each participant during the session.
- Software to be used: Simulis Thermodynamics, Simulis Properties and Simulis Conversions.
- Training follow-up: the follow-up of the execution of the action is done with the signature of attendance sheets by each trainee and by the evaluation sheet of the training session.
- Software: BatchColumn
- At the end of the training, a certificate will be issued.
- Rules of procedure for distance learning: [pdf document]
- Background in chemical engineering / process engineering
- Basic knowledge in software utilization
Information is collected before the training in order to identify the knowledge of each future participant.
Additional relevant trainings
- Thermodynamic approach in process simulation (suggested prerequisite)
- Batch chemical reactors simulation